Athletics: Usain Bolt pulls out of Zurich meeting to call time on season
Last Updated: 24/08/14 5:31pm
Usain Bolt has pulled out of the Weltklasse Diamond League meeting in Zurich on Thursday, meaning his season has come to an end.
The Jamaican sprinter, who helped his country secure gold in the 4x100m at this summer’s Commonwealth Games, has decided not to risk further injury after overcoming a foot problem.
Bolt clocked 9.98 seconds indoors in Warsaw on Saturday night but has seen his season curtailed by the injury.
Apart from his two runs as part of the successful relay team in Glasgow and the meeting in Poland, he has only been able to race on one other occasion this year, in the Mano a Mano race on the Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro.
A statement from the Weltklasse organisers said Bolt's coach Glen Mills was satisfied with his performances on his comeback from the foot injury which had delayed his start to the season, but "feels it is now time to shut it down while he is healthy and injury free with a view on his preparations for the 2015 season".
Bolt had been due to face Great Britain's European champions James Dasaolu and Adam Gemili in Zurich but Patrick Magyar, the director of the Zurich meeting, has defended Bolt’s decision to withdraw.
"Usain's body has delivered tremendous performances over the last years,” he said.
“But it is a body and not a machine. If an athlete of that level and his coach feel more rest is needed, we are certainly not going to question this and fully support this decision."
Bolt will rest until beginning his winter training in October, where he will begin his preparations as he attempts to retain his world 100m and 200m crowns at the World Championships in Beijing next year.