Tony Bellew explains status of broken right hand amid consideration over his future
By Richard Damerell & James Dielhenn
Last Updated: 21/04/17 7:21pm
Tony Bellew is hoping to avoid surgery on his broken right hand as he considers whether to return to the ring.
The WBC cruiserweight champion sustained the injury during last month's victory over David Haye, a result which has allowed Bellew to think about retirement.
I probably would have needed the same thing done on the right hand, which would have meant five months out and I just didn't want that.
"I hopefully will avoid an operation, I have already had one done," Bellew exclusively told Sky Sports.
"Major surgery on the left hand, done. I probably would have needed the same thing done on the right hand, which would have meant five months out and I just didn't want that.
"I have [broken] my hand six times (four on the right, two on the left) and I've had a recurring open fracture on the right hand since my third pro fight. You will never meet a boxer of my size with hands that are my size."
Bellew previously revealed that he expected a meeting with promoter Eddie Hearn to provide "clarity" on his future, although the state of his injury must also be factored in.
"It will be at least 10 days [from Friday] before I tap a bag, or just do anything," he said.
"I haven't punched anything yet. The good thing is the fracture has calcified, but it's not set. It will still take a few more weeks to actually set. I have to tap with it, with 20 ounce gloves on the first few sessions and then tap again. That's if I want to continue going."
Watch Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko at Wembley Stadium on April 29, live on Sky Sports Box Office. Book the event online here or via your Sky remote.