Dominic Breazeale insists his 'stock has risen' after Anthony Joshua fight
By James Dielhenn
Last Updated: 14/02/17 5:11pm
Dominic Breazeale has warned that his defeat to Anthony Joshua has made him a more dangerous proposition as he readies his return to the ring.
The previously unbeaten American was unable to take Joshua's IBF heavyweight title last summer but relaunches his career against Izu Ugonoh on February 25, live on Sky Sports.
"I earned the respect of the boxing world and I came to fight that night," Breazeale said about his stoppage defeat to Joshua.
I learned more from that one loss, than the 17 combined fights I won. I realised that I was better than I thought I was.
"I didn't back down at all. I learned more from that one loss, than the 17 combined fights I won. I realised that I was better than I thought I was.
"Since then, my stock has risen and I can't wait to get back out there in the ring and show everyone that I am deserving of another shot at the title whether it's a rematch against Joshua or a shot at Deontay Wilder or Joseph Parker.
"I put the heavyweight division on notice that I am a legitimate contender."
Izu ready to battle Breazeale
Izu Ugonoh hopes victory over Dominic Breazeale will take him closer to a fight with Deontay Wilder
Breazeale (17-1) competes on the undercard to WBC champion Deontay Wilder's title defence against Gerald Washington, and expects to expose his opponent Ugonoh's inexperience.
"Ugonoh has never been on a stage like this," he said.
"I may pressure him a bit to let him know what it is like to be in the ring with a man who is 6'7", 250lbs imposing his will on him. It is going to be 10 rounds of hell for him if he lasts that long.
"Two heavyweights moving towards each other and throwing punches always has the possibility of fireworks and somebody getting knocked out."
Breazeale vs Ugonoh and Wilder vs Washington are live on Sky Sports on February 25.