Martin Murray is confident he can take the WBC title from Sergio Martinez
Martin Murray is confident he can cause an almighty upset next April and take the WBC title from Sergio Martinez.
Last Updated: 20/12/12 5:03pm
Murray will get a second crack at becoming a world champion on April 27 next year at a venue yet to be announced, with Velez Sarsfield's football stadium a strong contender to stage the contest.
The 30-year-old from St Helens fell just short in his bid to take the WBA title from Felix Sturm last year, drawing against the German in Mannheim; it is the only fight he has not won in his 26-fight career as a professional.
And while he has plenty of respect for his next opponent, Murray is confident he can cause an almighty upset in the champion's own back yard.
"He began at the bottom and today he's the most powerful in the division. But I'm better and can beat him," said Murray at a press conference to promote the fight in Argentina.
"It will be a great opportunity for me to show the world who I am."
However Martinez, who successfully defended his belt against Mexican Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr in Las Vegas in September, predicted the bout with Murray wouldn't get beyond eight rounds.
"(Murray) is a great sportsman, to be respected. He's young and strong. It's great that he should want to give his all and I was the same but the fight won't go past the eighth round," he said.
The 37-year-old has a 50-2-2 record, with his last defeat coming at the hands of American Paul Williams back in the summer of 2009. He did, though, avenge that loss the following year with a second-round knockout.
Murray will be the third British fighter to attempt to end Martinez's reign. Darren Barker and Matthew Macklin both put up brave displays against the South American before being stopped in the penultimate round.