Brian Magee banned for six months after testing positive for oxilofrine
Brian Magee has been banned from boxing for six months after testing positive for the banned substance oxilofrine.
Last Updated: 22/07/13 5:19pm
The 38-year-old's positive test - on the same drug sprinter Asafa Powell admitted was found to be in his system - came immediately after losing his interim WBA super-middleweight title to Mikkel Kessler in December.
However, Magee has avoided a longer suspension after demonstrating the substance had been an unlabelled ingredient in a sports supplement he had used.
The supplement Magee ingested also included another banned substance in beta-methylphenethylamine.
The boxer would have incurred a two-year ban had he not proved the unintentional nature of the offence. Magee had voluntarity suspended himself in a letter to UK Anti-Doping dated January 30, and the ban has been back-dated to that day, expiring on July 29.
"I was in total shock when I was told I had tested positive, and I honestly thought someone was playing a joke," he said.
"All I could think was I could get a lifetime ban or even a two-year ban which at my age would have meant my career was as good as over.
"I have had 30 or 40 tests in my career and never tested positive. I have always been extremely careful about everything I have taken, and I didn't do anything differently before the Kessler fight."
Magee has enjoyed a highly-decorated career but the former British, European and IBO champion insists he will return despite the devastating fourth-round stoppage loss to Kessler.
"I've already got back in the gym and I can't wait to fight again," he added. "I haven't had any bad beatings and I think there are still a number of big fights out there for me."
Magee's manager Pat Magee is currently in the process of contacting other athletes who may be at risk after using the same product, with a view to possible legal action.