Boxing: Tyson Fury dismisses misconduct charge
Last Updated: 24/07/14 8:52am
Tyson Fury insists he is unconcerned about being summoned by the British Boxing Board of Control to answer charges of misconduct.
The 25-year-old landed himself in hot water with the authoroties after lashing out at heavyweight rival Dereck Chisora, who has been forced to withdraw from their showdown due to injury.
Fury launched a string of expletives at Chisora and one of the journalists in attendance at a London press conference last week to promote the clash, which was due to take place at Manchester's Phones 4u Arena on July 26.
Fury has been summoned to appear before the BBBofC on August 13 as a result of his antics but claimed he was "not interested" in the charge and does not regret the behaviour that prompted it.
On Thursday the BBBofC released a statement saying that after considering what happened, it had decided to call the Manchester-born fighter to a meeting "under Regulation 25 (misconduct)", adding that "failure to attend this hearing will result in Mr Fury's boxer's licence being suspended."
Fury said: "I'm not interested. They can charge me with whatever they want, it doesn't mean anything to me.
"What do we suppose they are going to be doing - fining me or suspending me? I'm not interested.
"I pay the board their wages. Keep being mean to me, and I will look elsewhere to pay someone else some wages."
Prior to the BBBofC statement being issued, Fury had apologised for the way he had acted, posting on social media: "I apologise for my ungodly actions @ the press Recently with @dellboychisora there was no bad feelings or Intentions. Just a show,#forgiveme.
"Boxing has been good to me it has brought me Security,Health,&kept me out of trouble, I thank every1 who has been Involved in my career. Xxx"
But he was in a less repentant mood on Monday as he conducted interviews at a media session in Bolton before Londoner Chisora withdrew from the WBO final eliminator after breaking his hand in training.
"It is what it is," Fury said. "I say what I say and I do what I do. I don't regret it - I mean everything I say and that is it.
"I'm not the kind of man to say something and not back it up. I said what I said, I do what I do and I'm proud of it.
"No-one is going to stop me from doing anything I want to do. That is the way I roll.
"I don't do anything criminal, so I'm not going to get taken away in a set of handcuffs.
"This is boxing - showbusiness, entertainment. I do what I do and say what I say to build big fights and if I was 'Mr Quiet', nobody would be interested."
The fight is set to be re-scheduled with a new date to be announced shortly with the winner of Fury (22-0, 16 KOs) and 30-year-old Chisora (20-4, 13 KOs) due to meet Wladimir Klitschko. The pair met first time around in 2011, with Fury triumphing on points.
David Haye also pulled out of a huge domestic bout with Fury in November after badly injurying his shoulder.