Oram assessing NZ future
New Zealand all-rounder Jacob Oram has revealed he is assessing his international future following his latest injury problems.
By Rachel Griffiths
Last Updated: 11/10/09 11:40am
New Zealand all-rounder Jacob Oram has revealed he is assessing his international future following his latest injury problems which prevented him from playing in the ICC Champions Trophy in South Africa.
The injury-plagued 31-year-old has suffered a string of setbacks and is believed to be close to announcing his retirement from Test and one-day cricket, although he could make himself available for Twenty20s.
Oram, who has played 33 Tests and 132 one-dayers, has kept quiet on his future plans since he was forced to leave South Africa without playing a game due to a hamstring injury.
"I am obviously gutted with my latest injury and missing out on an ICC event. These events are particularly special," Oram told the Sunday News.
"At the moment I am spending some time assessing my future and trying to work out what is best for me and the Black Caps."
Oram confessed earlier this year that he had considered playing only as a batsman following back, calf and Achilles problems which caused his absence from the series against Australia and the drawn Test series with the West Indies.
He has one year left to run on his $675,000 contract with the Indian Premier League side Chennai Super Kings.
New Zealand Cricket Players' Association executive manager Heath Mills indicated that a decision on Oram's future was imminent.
"Jacob, I know, has been thinking pretty hard about his future at the moment," said Mills.
"He's had a horrible run with injury of late and there's no question the demands of playing cricket 11 months of the year across the three formats are starting to take its toll on his body.
"Unfortunately, as we all know, this is not a new issue for Jacob to contemplate. But he is an intelligent and thoughtful guy who, I am sure, after due process will make the right decision for his cricket whatever that may be."