Indian duo to miss ODI series
Virender Sehwag and Ishant Sharma have been ruled out of India¿s upcoming limited-over series against England.
Last Updated: 29/08/11 10:28am
Virender Sehwag and Ishant Sharma have been ruled out of India's upcoming limited-over series against England.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced on Monday that Sehwag had been suffering from a hearing problem in his left ear.
The opening batsman and paceman Sharma, who injured his left ankle during the third Test at Edgbaston will miss both the Twenty20 match at Old Trafford at the end of this month and five subsequent one-day internationals.
The BCCI said in a statement that Shewag had labyrinthitis, an inflammation of the inner ear that can cause problems with balance control.
"Mr Sehwag suffered from labyrinthitis of the left ear on 24 July 2011," the statement said. "Although his condition has improved, he continues to experience headaches.
"An ENT specialist, who was consulted on the same, has said that he will take two more weeks to recover completely.
"Mr Sharma sustained a ligament injury in his left ankle during the Birmingham Test of the ongoing series."
Sehwag, returned to India's Test side late in the current series against England after recovering from surgery on his shoulder.
But the usually devastating hitter has been unable to find any form at the top of the order in the four innings he has played.
The 32-year-old made a king pair in India's innings defeat in Birmingham last week and managed a total of just 41 runs in both innings of the final Test at the Oval.
"Mr Sehwag has made good progress since the surgery on his right shoulder," the statement continued. "He will be continuing rehabilitation to build up his throwing and bowling fitness.
The pair will be replaced by uncapped duo Ajinkya Rahane, a 23-year-old batsman, and 21-year-old pace bowler Varun Aaron.