ECB boss Paul Downton has said sorry to Kevin Pietersen
The England and Wales Cricket Board's managing director Paul Downton has apologised to Kevin Pietersen.
Last Updated: 30/05/14 10:55pm
England were thrashed 5-0 by Australia in the Ashes Tests and the 33-year-old Pietersen was told in early February that he would no longer be a part of the national team's plans.
Pietersen had a hugely successful, albeit at times controversial, England career, finishing with an average of 47.28 in 104 Tests.
However, Downton said in an interview on 22 May that Pietersen seemed "disinterested" and "distracted" during the fifth Test in Sydney.
He also said he could not find anybody within the set-up who wanted Pietersen to remain in the team.
However, Pietersen hit back with a statement in which he said the suggestion he was uninterested was "wholly untrue".
He added: "I did, and continue to have, a good relationship with most of the England players, which has been subsequently highlighted by a number of press interviews."
And the ECB released a statement on Friday which said: "On 22 May during an interview on BBC Test Match Special, Paul Downton of the ECB made a series of comments about Kevin Pietersen with which Kevin takes issue, including the comments he made regarding his perception of Kevin's attitude during the Sydney Test on last winter's Ashes tour.
"Some of those comments were made in breach of a settlement agreement between the ECB and Kevin Pietersen, which was concluded at the time Kevin's central contract was terminated earlier this year.
"Paul Downton and the ECB both apologise to Kevin Pietersen for those comments made that were in breach of the settlement agreement and have confirmed that they will abide by its terms moving forward."
Pietersen finished as England's top run-scorer during the hugely disappointing Ashes thrashing last winter, although his 294 runs came at an average of just 29.40 and he managed only two half-centuries and no hundreds.