Ashes: Peter Siddle expects sledging to continue throughout series against England
Peter Siddle insists malicious verbal attacks are commonplace and will carry on for the rest of the Ashes series.
Last Updated: 26/11/13 7:09pm
Play on the fourth day at the Gabba was especially heated, with Australia captain Michael Clarke fined for using "obscene, offensive or insulting" language during an exchange with James Anderson.
Clarke had been overheard on a stump microphone saying Anderson should "get ready for a broken arm", however former Australia spinner Shane Warne accused the England bowler of abusing George Bailey.
"It's just natural. It wasn't any different to normal. If it hadn't of been on the mic a lot people would not have said so much about it," Australia paceman Siddle told Radio Sports National .
"The most disappointing thing is that it actually came up (on the broadcast). It's not meant to at that time and it is very stiff for Michael.
"Throughout the series there will be more of it going on but it will be under control."
According to broadcaster Channel Nine, there was continuous sledging from other players, especially Anderson, that never went to air.
Siddle said Anderson was one of the most prolific sledgers in world cricket and had every right to be due to his long-term success as a Test bowler.
"Anderson brought it on himself. So fair's fair," Siddle said.
"There was a lot of other stuff going on and James Anderson was in the thick of it and a culprit for it all happening.
"He is one of the leading wicket-takers in the world so he is happy to have a chirp but as long as Mitchell Johnson keeps bowling them around his ears that will quieten him up pretty quickly."
Siddle, yet to win a series against England from three attempts, said he was surprised at how easily Alastair Cook's team wilted under the pressure of the hosts' pace barrage.
"Especially with the second innings. I think in the first innings we took them by surprised a little bit," he said.
"But in the second innings, with some of the plans for some of their players and the way we got the wickets, it was disappointing (for England).
"To have such a convincing win shows the position we are in and the strength around the side at the moment."
The Victorian used the interview to wish Jonathan Trott the best in his recovery from the stress-related issues that have forced the number three batsman to quit the Ashes series and return to England.
"Everyone knows what a class player he is. For us it's a big bonus but for him personally it is disappointing," he said.
"I hope he comes back strong after whatever it is. He is a class player and you want to play against the best players in the world."
England team director Andy Flower says Trott has been struggling with the illness for at least as long as he had been an England player.
"I was first aware that Jonathan struggled with these things from our first contact as player and coach," he said.
"There was therefore a chance at any time over the past four years they might interfere with his cricket - but no more so for this tour than any other.
"There was always a possibility. But he's always managed it really successfully, and there was no reason to suggest this Test should be any different."
Trott is not the first England player of recent times to experience similar difficulties.
Opener Marcus Trescothick and limited-overs all-rounder Michael Yardy have both also had to leave tours because of mental-health issues in the past decade.
The second Test in Adelaide will be shown live on Sky Sports 2 HD from December 5.