Great Britain finished second as a cycling nation in final UCI WorldTour rankings
Great Britain finished in second place on the country rankings for the 2012 season of the UCI WorldTour.
Last Updated: 16/10/12 2:22pm
British competitors had their best season on the WorldTour, with Bradley Wiggins' victories in the Tour de France, Paris-Nice, Tour de Romandie and Criterium du Dauphine the highlight.
Spain finished as clear winners though, with Italy, Belgium and Australia ending just behind the Brits.
Wiggins, riding for Team Sky, finished n second place in the individual standings as well, behind Katusha's Spanish rider Joaquim Rodriguez. Wiggins had topped the leaderboard until September, but Rodriguez's third place in the Tour of Spain saw him overtake the Tour de France winner.
Wiggins' Team Sky team-mate and Tour de France runner-up Chris Froome finished in seventh, while another Team Sky rider Mark Cavendish placed 40th.
Team Sky claimed the team honours though ahead of Katusha and Liquigas-Cannondale.
The UCI WorldTour points system rewards place finishes in one-day races, tour stages and race victories on the UCI tour. The amount of points awarded depends on the prestige of the race and the final placing.
Final 2012 WorldTour ranking
1. Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) Katusha 692 points
2. Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky 601 points
3. Tom Boonen (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep 410 points
4. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 400 points
5. Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar 394 points
6. Simon Gerrans (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge 390 points
7. Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky 376 points
8. Peter Sagan (Svk) Liquigas-Cannondale 351 points
9. Samuel Sanchez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 332 points
10. Rui Costa (Por) Movistar 320 points
40. Mark Cavendish (GBr) Sky 128 points
98. Ben Swift (GBr) Sky 36 points
119. Steve Cummings (GBr) BMC Racing 22 points
120. Geraint Thomas (GBr) Sky 22 points
131. David Millar (GBr) Garmin-Sharp 20 points
200. Andrew Fenn (GBr) 4 points
247. Adam Blythe (GBr) BMC Racing 1 point
2012 WorldTour ranking by nation
1. Spain 1889 points
2. Great Britain 1163 points
3. Italy 1115 points
4. Belgium 1014 points
5. Australia 962 points
2012 WorldTour ranking by team
1. Sky 1767 points
2. Katusha 1273 points
3. Liquigas-Cannondale 1197 points
4. Omega Pharma-QuickStep 1162 points
5. Movistar 952 points