Stephane Richelmi takes GP2 pole as DAMS lock out frontrow at the Nurburgring
Championship leader Stefano Coletti only 13th for Feature Race
By William Esler
Last Updated: 17/09/13 1:30pm
Team-mate and Silverstone pole-sitter Marcus Ericsson will line up alongside him as DAMS locked out the frontrow, but there was bad news for Drivers' Championship leader Stefano Coletti who was only 13th fastest.
The battle at the front was close for much of the session with Richelmi, Ericsson, Robin Frijns and Felipe Nasr trading sector times in the opening stages.
But whilst those drivers may have been impressing, there was more controversy involving Sergio Canamasas. The Caterham driver caught traffic at the end of his opening hot-lap but rather than accepting this as part of racing, slowed almost to a halt in the final corner and down the pit-straight to prevent Daniel de Jong setting a time. This coming just a week after preventing Jolyon Palmer from lapping him in the British Sprint Race.
On the final run on their first set of tyres, both Ericsson and Frijns became the first drivers to dip into the 1:38s.
The Swede's time of 1:38.763 looked to be good enough for pole as the drivers struggled to beat it on their second runs - Mitch Evans coming closest as he jumped up to third just 0.085s off top spot.
However, with three minutes to go Richelmi blitzed his final attempt to go fastest by nearly three tenths of a second and deny his team-mate back-to-back poles.
GP2 Qualifying - Germany
1) Stephane Richelmi (MON) - DAMS - 1:38.487
2) Marcus Ericsson (SWE) - DAMS - +0.276
3) Robin Frijns (NED) - Hilmer Motorsport - +0.317
4) Mitch Evans (NZL) - Arden International - +0.361
5) Felipe Nasr (BRA) - Carlin - +0.410
6) Fabio Leimer (SWI) - Racing Engineering - +0.510
7) Adrian Quaife-Hobbs (GBR) - MP Motorsport - +0.519
8) James Calado (GBR) - ART Grand Prix - +0.531
9) Sam Bird (GBR) - RUSSIAN TIME - +0.602
10) Tom Dillmann (FRA) - RUSSIAN TIME - +0.699
11) James Palmer (GBR) - Carlin - +0.706
13) Stefano Coletti (MON) - Rapax - +0.787
16) Jon Lancaster (GBR) - Hilmer Motorsport - +0.892