Red Bull lodge appeal against Daniel Ricciardo's Australian GP disqualification
FIA will now have to set date for Court of Appeal hearing
By James Galloway
Last Updated: 26/03/14 1:42pm
The World Champions announced their intention to appeal against Ricciardo's exclusion immediately after the Australian had been stripped of second place in Sunday's race, during which his RB10 car was found to have 'consistently exceeded the maximum fuel flow of 100kg per hour' during the 57-lap distance.
Reacting angrily to the decision and the FIA's fuel-flow sensors, Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner hit out at what he termed "unreliable" and "immature technology" and argued that the team's own readings had shown that the car had run within the new-for-2014 fuel flow limits.
Although having already made clear their intention to contest the decision, Red Bull had 96 hours - until Thursday lunchtime UK time - to formally lodge the paperwork for an appeal with the FIA. They have now duly completed that process.
The focus will now turn to the governing body and the date it sets for the International Court of Appeal hearing into the matter, with the case looking likely to be held after the upcoming races in Malaysia and Bahrain.
With the Bahrain GP taking place straight after next week's Sepang event, it appears likely that hearing may not be held until the week before the Chinese GP in mid-April at the earliest.
When the case is eventually heard, Red Bull's defence is likely set to centre on what Horner was adamant were "discrepancies" with the FIA's fuel flow sensor.
Speaking to reporters on Sunday night, Horner explained that the sensor on Ricciardo's RB10 had been changed after it started giving different readings during Friday practice but was then fitted again ahead of the race.
The team were asked to apply an offset to the fuel flow to ensure it was legal. Believing it placed them at a disadvantage, however, Red Bull chose instead to use their own flow measurement on Ricciardo's car during the race.
According to the FIA, it 'exceeded consistently the maximum allowed fuel flow of 100kg/h' - the rate introduced following F1's shift to more efficient hybrid technology this season.
"We had an issue with the sensor that changed its reading through Friday practice. That sensor was then replaced for another sensor on Saturday which then failed during qualifying," Horner said.
"We were then asked to put the sensor from Friday back into the car and apply an offset. That offset, we didn't feel was correct and as we got into the race, we could see there was a significant discrepancy between what the sensor was reading and where our fuel flow - which is the actual injection of fuel into the engine - was stated as."
However, FIA Race Director Charlie Whiting insisted that had Red Bull simply followed the governing body's instructions then they wouldn't have run into any problems.
"We advised them twice after qualifying and five laps into the race to take the necessary steps to comply with the regulations," Whiting told The Times.
"They chose to use their own calculations to show they complied. If they had followed the advice we gave them at the time, we would not have had a problem and they would not have been penalised."