Raffaele Marciello took his maiden GP2 pole in a closely fought contest at Silverstone
Just 0.039 seconds separated the top four drivers
By William Esler
Last Updated: 04/07/14 5:33pm
Just 0.039 seconds separated the top four drivers with championship leader Jolyon Palmer the closest to the Italian to maintain his record of starting on the front row at every Feature Race in 2014.
Surprisingly the quickest times were all set during the opening stages of the session, with drivers struggling for time in the final sector as the clock ticked downwards despite more rubber being laid at the Northamptonshire venue.
Third-placed Mitch Evans was one such driver to be up on Marciello through the first two sectors before falling away dramatically at the end of the lap, failing to improve on even his early banker.
Carlin's Julian Leal completes the second row ahead of Stoffel Vandoorne - the McLaren junior another to struggle in the final sector - with Palmer's closest championship rival Felipe Nasr alongside him.
Johnny Cecotto was a disappointing ninth and the Trident man faces a difficult task to not lose too much ground in the standings to Palmer and Nasr in Saturday's race.
GP2 Qualifying - Great Britain
1) Raffaele Marciello (ITA) - Racing Engineering - 1:40.445
2) Jolyon Palmer (GBR) - DAMS - +0.027
3) Mitch Evans (NZL) - Russian Time - +0.033
4) Julian Leal (COL) - Carlin - +0.039
5) Stoffel Vandoorne (BEL) - ART Grand Prix - +0.201
6) Felipe Nasr (BRA) - Carlin - +0.213
7) Marco Sorensen (DEN) - +0.213
8) Stephane Richelmi (MON) - +0.317
9) Johnny Cecotto (VEN) - +0.400
10) Daniel Abt (GER) - Hilmer Motorsport - +0.435
17) Adrian Quaife-Hobbs (GBR) - Rapax - +0.807
20) Jon Lancaster (GBR) - Hilmer Motorsport - +1.104