Alex Lynn took pole position at the Circuit de Catalunya on his GP3 debut
Thrilling session kicks-off 2014 season in Spain
By William Esler
Last Updated: 10/05/14 11:25am
The 20-year-old was signed to the Red Bull Junior programme over the winter and showed why the F1 World Champions have snapped him up as he put a Carlin car on pole for the first time since 2012 after a thrilling qualifying session.
Just half a second covered the top ten cars - and one second the top 15 - as the chequered flag fell in Barcelona proving just how competitive the 2014 field is as the top positions constantly changed throughout the session.
Alex Fontana and Jimmy Eriksson set the early pace in the session, but it wasn't long before Lynn and Fontana's team-mates Marvin Kirchhoffer and Dino Zamparelli joined the battle as the five men traded fastest sector times.
In the closing stages Kirchhofer went top for ART and Richie Stanaway catapulted himself up to second in the Status car - less than a tenth behind the German - but it was Lynn who hooked up his final lap to take pole and the first points of the season.
The first GP3 race of the 2014 campaign is live on Sky Sports F1 from 4:15pm.
GP3 Spain - Qualifying
1) Alex Lynn (GBR) - Carlin - 1:35.614
2) Marvin Kirchhoffer (GER) - ART Grand Prix - +0.112
3) Richie Stanaway (NZL) - Status Grand Prix - +0.170
4) Jimmy Eriksson (SWE) - Koiranen GP - +0.290
5) Patrick Kujala (FIN) - Marussia Manor Racing - +0.356
6) Dino Zamparelli (GBR) - ART Grand Prix - +0.401
7) Emil Bernstorff (GBR) - Carlin - +0.522
8) Alex Fontana (GBR) - ART Grand Prix - +0.537
9) Pal Varhaug (NOR) - Jenzer Motorsport - +0.551
10) Matheo Tuscher (SUI) - Jenzer Motorsport - +0.596
11) Nick Yelloly (GBR) - Status Grand Prix - +0.616
13) Dean Stoneman (GBR) - Marussia Manor Racing - +0.761
16) Ryan Cullen (GBR) - Marussia Manor Racing - +1.145
18) Jan Mardenborough (GBR) - Arden International - +1.257