Britain's Alex Lynn eased to victory on his GP3 debut at the Circuit de Catalunya
Red Bull junior in a league of his own in Spain
By William Esler
Last Updated: 12/05/14 4:15pm
The Red Bull junior driver started from pole position and was utterly dominant as he led every lap of his debut race in the championship, in front of the watching Helmut Marko.
A lunge at the first corner from Marvin Kirchhofer was the only challenge to Lynn's supremacy - the German outbraking himself and running across the tarmac run-off - in what turned out to be a tame affair.
Jimmy Eriksson was the only man to finish within ten seconds of Lynn and he took his maiden podium finish, with the returning Richie Stanaway completing the rostrum.
Revisions were made to the GP3/13 car over the winter to try to increase overtaking in the series - including new elements on the front-wing and wider front tyres - but the cars were still unable to follow each other closely enough to put on a spectacle for the fans who had stayed at the circuit following F1 qualifying.
GP3 Spain - Race 1
1) Alex Lynn (GBR) - Carlin - 26:36.158
2) Jimmy Eriksson (SWE) - Koiranen GP - +2.451
3) Richie Stanaway (NZL) - Status Grand Prix - +10.417
4) Patrick Kujala (FIN) - Marussia Manor Racing - +12.712
5) Marvin Kirchhofer (GER) - ART Grand Prix - +13.475
6) Dino Zamparelli (GBR) - ART Grand Prix - +16.535
7) Dean Stoneman (GBR) - Marussia Manor Racing - +17.393
8) Matheo Tuscher (SUI) - Jenzer Motorsport - +19.358
9) Nick Yelloly (GBR) - Status Grand Prix - +19.983
10) Patric Niederhaser (SUI) - Arden International - +20.513
14) Jann Mardenborough (GBR) - Arden International - +29.342
15) Ryan Cullen (GBR) - Marussia Manor Racing - +32.313
Emil Bernstorff (GBR) - Carlin - Not Classified