David Beckham stars in Sky Sports advert ahead of Premier League season
Last Updated: 21/07/16 9:10pm
David Beckham experiences the excitement, drama and surprises of an entire football season in just 60 seconds, when he stars in a brand new advertisement to promote the Premier League on Sky Sports.
The advert, which was unveiled on Thursday, sees Beckham head off on a morning jog only to find himself running through scenes from 10 months of football, enduring changing weather conditions, celebrating with fans, dashing in and out of a pub and at one stage being chased by a dog!
Directed by award-winning Frederic Planchon, the film celebrates the unpredictability of the Premier League, never more evident than last season's incredible triumph for Leicester City.
Next season, Sky Sports will show more Premier League football than ever before, 126 live matches including for the first time, Friday Night Football.
Beckham, who has worked with Sky since 2013, said: "Anything can happen in the Premier League and this ad by Sky is a really fun way of showing that.
"Filming the ad was great and the finished piece is a really clever way of showing that you never know what might happen in football. I always enjoy working with Sky Sports and I'm proud to be associated with their football coverage."
Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, added: "It's our biggest ever season on Sky Sports, so we wanted one of the world's biggest stars to help us tell that story.
"David does a brilliant job of encapsulating in one minute what football fans experience in an entire season and I'm sure people will enjoy it when it's released.
"Never has the Premier League been so unpredictable, and with more matches than ever before, Sky Sports viewers can enjoy unrivalled coverage as the drama unfolds."
Sky Sports Fantasy Football
Who makes your XI this season? Pick your team here to win the £25k jackpot.
The advert was shot in various locations around the country, including a three-day shoot in London with Beckham in May, while 500 extras were used with snow machines and a fire engine helping to create the contrasting weather conditions.
Advertising agency Brothers and Sisters created the advertisement with a production crew of over 80.
Sky Sports begins its coverage of the Premier League on Saturday, August 13 with Leicester City, as part of a schedule of 20 televised fixtures that features every club by the end of September.
The opening weekend also offers Sky Sports viewers coverage of Jose Mourinho's first game in charge of Manchester United at Bournemouth, Arsenal v Liverpool in the first big head-to-head of the season, plus Antonio Conte's Chelsea at home to West Ham United.
Facts and figures about the ad
- A special rollerblading camera operator called Myron Mance was enlisted to keep up with Beckham on the run. A former pro skater, Myron is sought after for high action and sports commercials, due to his expertise at capturing movement.
- The advert was filmed across East and West London, Derbyshire, Manchester/Stockport and at the Emirates Stadium.
- Filming took over 70 hours, including travel between the various locations.
- 500 extras were used throughout the advert, including a special guest role for one dog.
- A London fire engine was recruited to provide the water for a rain scene and to give Beckham a covering on an unusually warm day in May.
- Teams featured in the advert include Middlesbrough, Leicester, QPR, Bournemouth, Arsenal, Manchester United and Manchester City.
- 80 production crew and 2 cameras were needed to capture all the scenes, including 1 mounted on a rig.
Hit play on the video at the top of the article to watch Sky Sports' new advert featuring David Beckham