Bougherra back for Euro clash
Madjid Bougherra is back in contention to face Unirea Urziceni after he was omitted from Rangers' squad on Saturday.
Last Updated: 19/10/09 9:39am
Walter Smith has confirmed Madjid Bougherra is back in contention to face Unirea Urziceni after he was omitted from Rangers' squad that faced St Johnstone.
The French-born Algerian defender was left out of Gers' weekend win against the Saints for returning late to Glasgow after international duty.
Smith has accepted Bougherra's reasons for being late and confirmed that he is available to face Unirea in their crucial UEFA Champions League clash at Ibrox.
The case is now closed according to Smith, who admits the club had been informed that the 27-year-old had his passport stolen returning to Glasgow.
"Madjid has explained the circumstances which led him to be late back from international duty and I accept what he's had to say," explained Smith.
"Initially, I was led to believe his belongings were stolen on Monday, but it turns out that happened on Thursday.
"In fairness, his agent contacted Ally McCoist and told him of the situation. Having now spoken to Madjid, there's no problem.
"That is the matter closed now."
Bougherra insists he was not punished by the club and that missing training on Friday was the reason behind his weekend omission.
"I had to be in Glasgow on Friday morning, but on the way home, I lost my passport, phone and money in Paris," he said. "I asked my agent to let the club know while I was dealing with the problems regarding my papers.
"I finally arrived back in Glasgow on Friday night and Walter Smith decided not to play me because I'd not trained on the eve of the match. But he has not punished me.
"I am here at Rangers, I want to stay here and I do not see why I would go to war with the club or deliberately try to cause such trouble."