Cook repeats Robinho stance
Garry Cook has echoed Mark Hughes' sentiments by declaring that Robinho will not leave in January.
By Richard Bailey
Last Updated: 11/11/09 11:41am
Manchester City chief executive Garry Cook has echoed manager Mark Hughes' sentiments that Robinho will not leave in January.
The Brazilian has been constantly linked with a move to Barcelona since the summer but so far City have remained defiant in their bid to keep hold of their record signing.
However, comments from the player himself, saying he would be interested in joining the Catalan giants, have only increased the recent speculation.
The former Real Madrid star, who has missed City's last 11 games with an ankle injury, has flown with the rest of the squad to a training camp in Abu Dhabi but will have his ankle assessed by Brazilian physios in nearby Qatar ahead of the clash with England on Saturday.
Robinho is expected to play no part in the friendly but rumours have suggested the player's representatives will meet with Barca officials in the Far East, something which Cook strenuously denies.
"There are no plans to meet Barcelona here this week. One of the things we always say to Robinho is that there seems to be a lot of people claiming to represent him," he said.
"But we only speak to his father, who Robinho himself says is his only representative. His father is not here, so we assume everyone else is up to their tricks.
"Categorically, there is nothing on anyone's agenda, whether it is the chairman's, mine, or, Mark's."
Cook believes City need to rediscover the 'buzz' they had around the club at the time of the Arsenal game, with City winning just once more in the Premier League since their 4-2 success over the Gunners, including a run of five consecutive league draws.
"There was a buzz about the place when we played Arsenal," he added. "Everybody's expectations were high but we got disjointed a little bit.
"We lost [Emmanuel] Adebayor for a little bit and then international games broke our momentum up.
"Since then we have had a couple of games where we thought we could have probably come away with a better result but that is the way it works."
Despite the successive draws, Cook is pleased with the progress City have made this season.
"Overall we are quite pleased with out progress," he pointed out. "If someone had said at the beginning of the season we would be fourth after 10 Premier League games and in the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup, we would have taken it.
"We have gone through many years at this football club where survival has been the order of the day. Today it is about success."
Meanwhile, City have also announced a three-year sponsorship deal with Middle East telecommunications company Etisalat.