Moyes holds Anichebe hope
David Moyes insists he is still keen to keep hold of Victor Anichebe, despite the striker rejecting a contract.
Last Updated: 18/12/10 6:44pm
Everton manager David Moyes insists he is still keen to keep hold of Victor Anichebe, despite the striker turning down a new contract.
The 22-year-old forward has rejected the offer of a new deal at Goodison Park but negotiations are still expected to continue.
He was booed by home fans when brought on against Wigan last weekend after reports suggested he had turned down a lucrative £30,000-a-week salary.
But Moyes believes Anichebe will deal with the pressure and hopes the Nigeria international will pen new terms.
"Victor seems fine. I had a chat with him earlier in the week," the Scot told the Liverpool Echo.
"I spoke with him and said the figures which were quoted were wrong, but the fact is he's been offered a contract and said no to it.
"I've explained it to him and he accepts that. The booing is part of it. You've just got to get on with it, and play and show what you can do. The disappointing thing is that he has not played so much.
"I made the reference that the supporters don't boo Steven Pienaar (who has also not signed a new contract), but that's because he's out there playing and giving his all.
"If you do that the supporters will cheer and clap you."
Anichebe told Skysports.com earlier in the week that he wanted to stay at the club, and Moyes believes he can progress at Everton.
Moyes added: "I've said to him he's been made a really good offer, but he's entitled to make his own decision.
"We think a lot of him. I think he's a really, really good player with great potential.
"He's developed at this club and has got bits of his game that I hope he'll grow out of with age, but he's a really important player we'd like to keep.
"That's why we've offered him a contract."
Everton, weather permitting, will take on North West rivals Manchester City at Eastlands in the Premier League on Monday night.