Carlo remains coy over future
Carlo Ancelotti would not be drawn over his future despite Chelsea battling back into the title race.
Last Updated: 21/04/11 10:47am
Carlo Ancelotti would not be drawn over his future despite Chelsea battling back into the Premier League title race.
The Blues closed the gap on leaders Manchester United with their sixth win in seven games, with a 3-1 victory over Birmingham at Stamford Bridge moving them above Arsenal into second and six points off top spot.
With five games to go, and with Chelsea still to visit Old Trafford to face United, there remains chance they could hold on to their title, despite enduring their worst slump in results since Roman Abramovich bought the club in 2003 earluer this term.
It appeared that the Italian would be set to lose his job this summer following their UEFA Champions League quarter-final exit to United.
However, if the former AC Milan manager was to land the title, Abramovich would surely be forced to rethink, but Ancelotti was not being drawn over the issue.
"Questions with 'if' are not good," he said.
"At the end of the season, we will have a big press conference - a strong and tough press conference."
Ancelotti decided not to ring the changes on Wednesday, sticking with the same forward line that beat West Brom 3-1 on Saturday, meaning Didier Drogba started in attack instead of Fernando Torres.
Drogba was in menacing mood, contributing heavily despite Florent Malouda and Salomon Kalou being the players on the scoresheet.
The Blues boss praised the Ivorian, stating that it looked like he was regaining his top form after a bout of malaria brought down his fitness earlier in the campaign.
"I think that now he's fit and he's showing fantastic quality," Ancelotti said.
"In one season, problems like Didier had can happen.
"Now we have to be happy to see him playing fantastic football, but forget the past."