Harry out to attract stars
Harry Redknapp believes Tottenham need to bolster their squad in the summer and has not ruled out a swoop for Chelsea's Didier Drogba.
Last Updated: 23/04/11 10:11am
Harry Redknapp believes Tottenham need to bolster their squad regardless of whether or not they finish fourth, and has not ruled out a swoop for Didier Drogba.
Spurs' coffers have been boosted considerably since they qualified for the UEFA Champions League at the end of last season, but they are fighting to make it through to the next edition of Europe's premier club competition.
A thrilling 3-3 draw with North London rivals Arsenal at White Hart Lane in midweek left Redknapp's men in fifth position, two points adrift of Manchester City ahead of Saturday's match against West Brom.
There have been suggestions that chairman Daniel Levy may not be able to sanction big-money bids if Tottenham do not secure a top-four finish, but the manager maintains that it would be a backward step to have a quiet transfer window.
Redknapp is confident Spurs can build on their achievements of the past couple of seasons and challenge for the Premier League title in the near future, but recognises they will need a couple of high-class additions.
"There shouldn't be two transfer scenarios," he said. "If you want to get into the Champions League again you have to keep improving.
"People say 'if we get in the Champions League we'll buy some great players' but if you don't buy some great players you won't get in the Champions League. That's how it works."
There are concerns that rival clubs will come in for Tottenham's brightest stars if they do not make it into the top four, while attracting players to join a club in the Europa League could also be difficult.
Redknapp has rejected such a notion, though, saying: "People will come here anyway. They'll see we were in the Champions League last year and want to get in again.
"If you pay them the wages they'll come."
Tottenham have been linked with a move for Drogba, whose future at Chelsea has been the subject of discussion since Fernando Torres' arrival in January.
Redknapp admits he is an admirer of the Ivory Coast international and does not know whether something might happen in the summer, although he does not want to say too much at this point.
"Drogba is still a fantastic player, who knows," he said. "It's up to Chelsea what they do, he's been a great player for them.
"He's a fantastic centre-forward. Power, strength, he's got everything and he scores goals as well.
"He plays for Chelsea and until they decide otherwise, you can't speculate about his future."
No Parker move
One player who will not be joining Spurs this summer, according to Redknapp, is the newly-crowned Football Writers' Association Player of the Year Scott Parker.
Redknapp lodged a bid to sign the 30-year-old last summer but the emergence of Brazilian midfielder Sandro means his interest in Parker has cooled, even though he could be available on the cheap if West Ham go down.
"We liked him but I don't think we ever got close to signing him really," Redknapp said.
"They were asking for £15million and that's a lot of money for his age, but we have got plenty of midfielders.
"Sandro looks like he could be a good player. We have got Tom (Huddlestone), Luka (Modric), Jermaine Jenas and Wilson (Palacios)."