McCarthy lay-off confirmed
James McCarthy will sit out the rest of the Republic of Ireland's Carling Nations Cup campaign with injury.
Last Updated: 24/05/11 5:12pm
James McCarthy will sit out the rest of the Republic of Ireland's Carling Nations Cup campaign with an ankle injury, Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has confirmed.
Republic boss Giovanni Trapattoni said earlier this week that one player, believed to be McCarthy, had not returned his calls ahead of Tuesday's clash with Northern Ireland and Sunday's meeting with Scotland.
But Martinez revealed on Tuesday afternoon the Latics have sent the relevant medical reports to the Irish camp.
And the Wigan boss insists there is no suggestion of midfielder McCarthy having gone AWOL, and that he needs a month-long rest after suffering the injury against Stoke at the weekend.
Martinez said: "He had a challenge in the game against Stoke with Jermaine Pennant, we had a scan and the scan revealed grade one ligament damage in his right ankle.
"We passed the report to the Republic of Ireland medical team and they are well, well aware. That is where James had an operation earlier this season and it is an area that is a bit of a concern.
"We have to work together to try and get him a speedy recovery but he is not available to play and he will need at least three or four weeks to recover."
Scotland-born McCarthy's relationship with Trapattoni has long been a fractious one, with the former Hamilton man withdrawing from the squad to face his native country in February, fuelling speculation he would rather play for them.
However, the 20-year-old committed his future to Ireland by turning out against Macedonia in a European Championship qualifier in March.