Enrique seals Liverpool move
Liverpool have completed the signing of full-back Jose Enrique on a long-term contract from Newcastle United.
Last Updated: 12/08/11 3:38pm
Liverpool have completed the signing of full-back Jose Enrique on a long-term contract from Premier League rivals Newcastle United.
Enrique has been linked with a move to Anfield for much of the summer and has now finalised the switch ahead of the opening game of the season against Sunderland on Saturday.
The Reds had been searching for a senior left-back after England international Glen Johnson was deployed in the role for parts of last term.
The signing is Kenny Dalglish's fifth capture of the summer and Enrique is delighted to be linking up with the Merseyside club.
"This is one of the happiest days of my life," the Spaniard told the club's official website.
"I have come to one of the biggest clubs not just in England, but in the world. I am really, really happy.
"They have won a lot of things including the Champions League. They have amazing players and I hope to win things here.
"Of course I am looking forward to playing in front of the Kop. Everybody speaks about the fans here and they are amazing. I am looking forward to it. I hope it will be this weekend, but if not I can wait."
The 25-year-old says he is ready for immediate action for Liverpool and wants to help his new club mount a challenge for the Premier League title.
He added: "If the manager needs me, I am ready to play.
"I have already played for Newcastle in pre-season, not every game but two or three games and I am fit and if the manager needs me, I am ready to play.
"My ambition is win everything with Liverpool. This year we won't play in the Champions League, so the most important thing is to try and win the league."