Transfer News: Queens Park Rangers boss Harry Redknapp says it's 'gang warfare'
Harry Redknapp has compared the current transfer window to "gang warfare" as he continues to chase new signings.
Last Updated: 29/01/13 9:20am
The QPR manager is desperate to bring in new players before Thursday's deadline in the wake of the weekend's FA Cup humiliation at home to MK Dons.
Loic Remy arrived earlier this month and a deal is in place for South Korea's Yun Suk-young, but Rangers have already failed with two bids for West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie.
And with Ryan Nelsen due to leave for the MLS imminently and Anton Ferdinand in talks with Bursaspor, Redknapp will be short at the back as he attempts to steer his side off the bottom of the Premier League.
"When you're in a position like we are, you need to strengthen if you can," said Redknapp, who by his own admission has given up hope of signing either West Brom's Jonas Olsson or Brede Hangeland of Fulham.
"I still think we can avoid relegation if I can get the players in that I'm aiming for. We'll give ourselves a real chance if we get them in. I'm sure there'll be clubs looking to do some business but it's always difficult.
"This transfer window, I've never seen anything like it - agents trying to get one over on each other. It's like gang warfare out there."
Redknapp also put up a stout defence of chairman Tony Fernandes, who told his Twitter followers on Sunday he would be "the first to go" if QPR continued to struggle under his leadership.
"Tony Fernandes loves this club," he said. "The club are lucky to have a chairman like him. Nobody is trying harder than him to put things right."