Blues chief under fire
By Dominique Antognoni
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Monaco are aiming to snare Adrian Mutu from Chelsea.EXCLUSIVE
Monaco are aiming to snare Adrian Mutu from Chelsea, after the Romanian striker's agent blasted Blues chief executive Peter Kenyon for the collapse of a deal with Juventus.
Mutu had been poised to join Juventus on a season-long loan earlier this week but the move fell through.
Juventus confirmed on Saturday that they are no longer interested in the forward, after Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich decided he did not wish to lose Mutu.
UEFA Champions League runners-up Monaco are now keen on the hot shot, according to the player's representative Giovanni Becali.
He still feels Mutu will leave Stamford Bridge before the close of the transfer window and retains hope that Juventus can be persuaded to re-enter in to negotiations.
But Becali also slammed the role of Blues supremo Kenyon in the talks and believes the former Manchester United chief executive did not help to push the transfer through.
"On Wednesday evening, Juventus agreed with everything and we were close to taking the aeroplane to Turin," Becali told skysports.com.
"But on Thursday morning Abramovich said that his intention is to keep Mutu.
"I thought that after so many years with Manchester he (Kenyon) knows more about football but frankly he seems able to speak about marketing, not about football. A disaster."
Becali also reiterated the view that Mutu wants to quit The Blues and is still optimistic of securing his exit from the West London side.
He added: "Now, Mutu still has the possibility to move to Juve but Monaco also want him very much.
"He wants a team where he can become a star. In this direction, Juve is a bigger team, Chelsea is still a new one.
"For Adi, it will be better to play for Juve. I think that the transfer could be done."