SONG POISED FOR HAMMERS MOVE
By Peter O`Rourke
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry revealed West Ham had contacted the club over a move for the player and that he was waiting for them to come in with an official offer.
"We have had preliminary discussions with West Ham and are now just waiting for the fax from them that will confirm their offer," said Parry. "But the deal looks on, and he will be able to talk to West Ham when we get back from Greece."
The 24-year-old former Metz star has found his chances of playing regularly limited with the arrival of Markus Babbel to the club in the summer and he has only made four appearances for The Reds this season.
Song, who only joined Liverpool from Salernitana in January last year for £2.6 million, has failed to establish himself at Anfield and had a fall-out with Reds boss Gerard Houllier earlier this season over playing for his country in the Olympics.
The versatile defender is determined to play regular first-team football so that he can keep his place in the "Indomitable Lions" side and he would favour a move to West Ham.
"I do not know too much about the move yet, and there is still a lot of talking to do," said Song. "I just want to play and to bring my experience to the game. I have not been playing for Liverpool, and it has cost me on the international front.
"I have lost the captaincy of my country, and it has been very frustrating not getting a game.
"There is a lot still to be decided, but I know they want me and I believe it will happen," said Song.
The Cameroon international, who was on the bench for Liverpool's 2-2 draw with Olympiakos on Thursday, is expected to fly to London over the weekend for talks with The Hammers over a £3 million move.
West Ham boss Harry Redknapp has targeted Song as replacement for Rio Ferdinand, who is expected to complete his move to Leeds United for a British record fee of £18 million.