Kewell and Lineker settle
By Ben Blackmore
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
The case between Harry Kewell and Gary Lineker has been settled.
The libel case between former England captain Gary Lineker and Liverpool player Harry Kewell has been settled out of court.
A High Court jury was discharged last month when it failed to reach a verdict on the action taken by Kewell after comments in a newspaper article written by Lineker over the Australian's move to Liverpool in 2003.
Kewell joined Liverpool in July 2003 in a £5 million deal from Leeds that saw £2 million go to his agent Bernie Mandic's company, Max Sport.
Australian Kewell had accused Lineker of damaging his reputation in an article written in the Sunday Telegraph and sought damages at a High Court trial in London.
The piece was said to have implied that Kewell's transfer from Leeds United to Liverpool had involved 'dishonourable conduct' on the part of the player.
The defence claimed that the column had been ghost-written due to the pressure of Lineker's television commitments.
However, a panel of six men and six women failed to find in favour of either party - prompting the two sides to settle out of court.
Kewell's solicitor, Chris Farnell, of Hill Dickinson, said: "The parties have come to an agreement and they won't be seeking a new trial. We don't intend to comment on the terms of the settlement."