Turks claim Kewell signing
Galatasaray have announced the signing of former Liverpool attacker Harry Kewell on a three-year deal.
Last Updated: 04/07/08 8:40am
Turkish champions Galatasaray have announced the signing of former Liverpool attacker Harry Kewell on a three-year contract.
Kewell had been available on a free transfer after not being offered a new deal at Anfield following five injury-plagued seasons with the club.
Portsmouth had been linked with a bid to keep the Australian in the Premier League, while Roma had been tipped to sign the 29-year-old.
The former Leeds United star had been coy regarding the rumours of a move to Italian giants Roma when quizzed on his future last month.
However, Kewell looks to have decided to head for Turkey after Galatasaray confirmed the signing on the club's official website.
The winger played against Galatasaray during his Leeds career when he was sent off in the Uefa Cup semi-final second leg in 2000.
Liverpool also met Galatasaray during the group phase of the UEFA Champions League in 2006/07, although Kewell missed both matches due to injury.
Should the move go through then Kewell will be unable to feature for his country at the 2008 Beijing Olympics as he will commit himself to settling in his new surroundings.
Australia's U23 coach Graham Arnold had hoped to use the winger as an over age player at this summer's tournament, but concedes that he may be forced to look elsewhere.
"It's not easy for him, as soon as he signs for a new club to ask for four weeks to go to the Olympics,'' Arnold told WA Today.
"You've got to look at Galatasaray, they are in the Champions League as well so that comes in early August, it's not the perfect time for Harry.
"Harry made this decision that he didn't want to let the team down and didn't want to let down the football community by saying he'd come and then have to pull out after a couple of weeks and leave us a player short.
"I think it's a very honourable decision.''
However, the move may not be the formality Galatasaray are claiming as Kewell's agent, Bernie Mandic, claims that no agreement has been reached with the Turkish giants.
"We have not finalised a deal for Harry and it's down to two possibilities," Mandic told FourFourTwo in Australia.
"People will be notified if and when Harry decides on one of the options which may be around noon on Saturday European time.
"We will not make any other comments until then."