Simonsen ready to fight
By Alex Livie
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
The keeper is in the final season of a six-year contract and talks of a new deal have so far failed to materialise.
The 24-year-old is currently down the pecking order at Goodison Park, but he is determined to prove to Moyes that he has the ability to be number one for The Toffees.
"People think I have been around for 10 years or more but I am still only 24 and there is a lot of time left to go in my career," Simonsen told the club's website.
"I'd like to be able to continue my career here at Everton but that is not up to me.
"I am in the last year of my contract and I have to prove to the manager and the coaching staff through hard work that I deserve a new deal."
Richard Wright's knee injury has seen Simonsen move up the pecking order, but Nigel Martyn has established himself as the number one.
Simonsen has admitted it was a blow to his aspirations when Martyn arrived, but he has vowed to fight for his place.
"It has been very disappointing not being involved but it has happened to me a number of times since I have been at Everton and I am the only one who can do anything about it by keeping my head down and working hard," he added.
"It was a big blow for me personally when Nigel came in because then I knew it would be even tougher to get into the team but competition for places is what you want at a club like Everton and it can only be good for the team."
Meanwhile, Wright will undergo surgery on his knee in Colorado on December 3, but the club have admitted he may have to live with his injury for the remainder of his career.
"It is certainly not something that is career-threatening," Toffees physio Mick Rathbone said. "But he may have to learn to live with it."