Pompey double raid rebuffed
By Alex Livie
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Pompey's interest in Lua Lua was revealed earlier in the day, but it would appear Harry Redknapp is looking to bolster his defence as well as his attacking options.
The South Coast club tabled a £1.5 million offer for the pair on Friday, but Newcastle said they will have to up the ante if they are to win their signatures.
"We made a £1.5 million offer on Friday night but they said we could only have Lua Lua, not Griffin for that fee, but we said we want both of them or nothing," Pompey chairman Milan Mandaric confirmed.
"Our offer was for two players, not one and now I will talk to my manager to see if it's possible for us to move forward tomorrow.
"We rate Griffin very highly but unless Newcastle make a move on this, it won't happen."
It would appear Redknapp is keen to sign the duo, so talks could well reconvene on Monday.
Newcastle manager Sir Bobby Robson has grown increasingly frustrated with Congo forward Lua Lua recently and may well feel the time is right to cash in on his services.
With Craig Bellamy returning to fitness, Robson would appear to be well stocked in the striking department and may well decide to move Lua Lua on.
The sale of Griffin would come as more of a surprise, despite him slipping behind Aaron Hughes in the St James' Park pecking order.
The former Stoke City man's departure would leave Newcastle somewhat thin on the full back front, but it could prove to be a shrewd move as his contract is due to expire in the summer.
If Griffin does move on, it could well allow Robson the leverage to make a late raid on the transfer market.
Tottenham defender Stephen Carr was linked with a move to Newcastle on Friday and it could be that Robson will make a late bid on Monday.
If Robson decides to make a raid on the transfer market, he will have to seal the deal by 11am in order to make the player eligible for their Uefa Cup challenge.