Betis knock back Pompey offers
By Tom Adams
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Manuel Ruiz de Lopera says he has rejected two bids from Portsmouth for striker Edu.
Real Betis president Manuel Ruiz de Lopera has revealed he has knocked back two offers from Portsmouth for forward Edu.
The Brazilian notched 11 goals for the Seville outfit last season and has been the subject of interest from Harry Redknapp's ambitious side.
The South Coast outfit have substantial transfer funds at their disposal due to the involvement of co-owner Alexandre Gaydamak, and have targeted big names such as Jefferson Farfan and Stilian Petrov to infuse class and talent into the Pompey line-up.
However they have so far been frustrated in their attempts to prise Edu from Betis as the Liga side are standing firm over their 27-year-old Brazilian.
Lopera has revealed that Pompey approached him with an initial offer of £4.8 million, and the Spanish supremo has now turned down a second bid from Redknapp's side.
"They increased the offer this morning but I told them the answer was still no," said Lopera.
Farfan confirmed on Tuesday that he will be staying with PSV Eindhoven, and despite their burgeoning coffers Portsmouth are continuing to struggle to bring in new blood this summer.