Brazilian striker Alexandre Pato admits turning down offers to stay at Corinthians
Corinthians striker Alexandre Pato has confirmed he did receive offers to move during the summer transfer window.
By Paulo Freitas
Last Updated: 18/09/13 6:38pm
The 24-year-old returned to his native Brazil earlier in the year from AC Milan after a six-year spell with the Serie A giants.
Pato scored 51 goals in 117 matches for the San Siro-based side and has scored seven in 18 since his return to South America, earning a recall to his national side and attracting the attention of several European clubs.
Reports in the Brazilian press suggested Tottenham made an eleventh hour bid for the former Rossoneri frontman - and although Pato was reluctant to name clubs, he did confirm there were offers on the table.
"I received offers, they called Corinthians, sent a fax, to sign me in the window, but I sat down with the staff, talked with my agent and I told them I wanted to stay," he told Sportv.
"I wanted to help Corinthians fight for a place in Libertadores."
Corinthians are currently sixth in the Brazilian top flight, the Brasileirao, and Pato is eighth in the race for this season's golden boot.
Pato's next outing will be on Wednesday as Corinthians travel to the Estadio Municipal Jose Pereira to face Ponte Preta.