Ahn's Rovers move in doubt
By Chris Stanton
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Ahn Jung-hwan's proposed switch to Blackburn may have fallen through.
Ahn Jung-hwan's proposed switch to Blackburn is in doubt after the South Korean failed to turn up for a pre-arranged trial this week.
The Metz striker had been expected to link up with Rovers in order for manager Mark Hughes to assess the 29-year-old's suitability for Premiership football.
However Ahn believed he was travelling to Lancashire to rubber-stamp a transfer and not merely to undergo a trial.
"It was Ahn's own decision not to join Blackburn's training," Yang Myung-kyu, Ahn's agent, told The Korea Times.
"Ahn seems to think it's not proper to go to England when he can't be sure he'll sign with the club.
"He wants some clearer conditions about moving."
A summer 2002 transfer fell through due to work permit criteria, although Rovers chairman John Williams insists the club's second attempt to land Ahn is not dead yet.
Rovers still expect to trial Ahn with the player's proposed arrival at Ewood Park put back 48 hours until Wednesday, although Williams concedes he is unaware of the exact reasons for the delay.
"We were expecting him yesterday [Monday] but having spoken to the people arranging it we are now expecting him tomorrow [Wednesday]," said Williams.
"We don't know what the reasons are, because it has never been any status other than a trial.
"That remains the case and we expect him to be training with us for two or three days, and we will then decide whether we want to pursue a transfer."
Meanwhile, Ryan Nelsen has requested a personal hearing after being charged with improper conduct by The Football Association.
The charge relates to comments made by the New Zealander about referee Mark Halsey in the aftermath of Rovers' 2-0 defeat to Everton at Ewood Park in November.