Transfer news: Shay Given admits he could leave Aston Villa this summer
Aston Villa goalkeeper Shay Given has admitted that he is likely to leave the club in the summer.
Last Updated: 25/04/14 10:07am
The 38-year-old is currently manager Paul Lambert's third choice behind Brad Guzan and Jed Steer and has not featured in a league game for the Villans since August 2012.
Earlier this month, the former Manchester City player was made part of Lambert's coaching staff for the rest of the season following the suspensions of assistant managers Ian Culverhouse and Gary Karsa.
Given already has his UEFA A and B licences and will start on his pro-licence this summer, but he is keen on prolonging his playing career.
The former Republic of Ireland international performed impressively during his loan spell at Championship outfit Middlesbrough earlier this season, keeping 10 clean sheets in 16 games.
Given has now said that he could leave Villa at the end of the season and believes that he can be a second-choice goalkeeper at a different Premier League club.
"The manager and the club have said they would let me go if somebody came in," he told The Telegraph.
"It's quite clear with the budget the manager has here and the cutbacks to be made, but I still feel I've got plenty of time left in my career.
"When you train all week, do all the extra work in the gym, you question yourself because there's no game at the end of it.
"Hopefully something will happen in the summer and I can get playing again. You only have to look at Mark Schwarzer playing in a Champions League semi-final at 41 years old on Tuesday or Brad Friedel  at Spurs.
"People do forget you but that's why my time on loan at Middlesbrough was important. It went really well.
"It gave me a boost again. I feel I can still play in the Premier League. Maybe I could go to a bigger club as a No.2 keeper because I feel I've got plenty to offer.
"My future may be elsewhere but the most important thing is retaining Villa's status in the Premier League."