Emre announces Magpies deal
By Mark Buckingham
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Emre Belozoglu has confirmed he has signed a deal with Newcastle United.Turkey international Emre Belozoglu has confirmed he has signed a deal with Newcastle United.
Emre revealed earlier in the week that he had reached an agreement with a Premiership club but refused to name the team in question.
Newcastle have moved to the forefront of the chase for the Internazionale winger in recent weeks, after Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool and Manchester United all held an interest in the past.
Magpies boss Graeme Souness flew to Istanbul on Thursday for talks with the 24-year-old and has persuaded the midfielder to move to St James' Park.
Fenerbahce had been keen to lure Emre back to Turkey but he is relishing the chance to play for Newcastle, citing Souness as a major factor in his decision.
"I'm a player of Newcastle now and I believe that I will be very successful there," said Emre in Turkish paper Hurriyet.
"Newcastle United are one of the biggest teams in Britain and their offer was very attractive - that's why I chose to be with them.
"I'm going to a well-established and large club. I'm very happy for it.
"Of course, having Galatasaray's ex-manager at Newcastle was another strong factor in my decision."
Emre acknowledged Fenerbahce's offer but conceded it is too early in his career to play in his homeland again.
He added: "Many teams, including Turkey's Fenerbahce, approached me but I have always said that I wanted to play in Europe for many years to come.
"I am still very young, I do not want to go back to Turkey so soon as I have a lot to do yet."
Newcastle have still to announce the deal is completed as it is believed they are haggling over a £4 million fee with Inter.