Souey confirms Moore talks
By Peter ORourke
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Graeme Souness has confirmed the club are in talks to sign Craig Moore.Newcastle United boss Graeme Souness has confirmed the club are in talks to sign Craig Moore.
Souness is keen to bolster his defensive ranks, having seen Aaron Hughes and Andy O'Brien leave the club over the summer.
His needs for defensive reinforcements has been heightened by an injury to Titus Bramble and he has now lined up a move for former Rangers defender Moore.
Moore is available on a free transfer after being sacked by Borussia Monchengladbach.
Souness is now hoping to tie up a deal to bring the Australian international to St James' Park.
"We've had a conversation with Craig Moore's people. Craig is without a club at this time," Souness told the club's official website.
"The chairman is dealing with it, but I'm not sure exactly how far down the road we are with it at this minute.
"I was in Scotland last week at the wedding of one of the sons of Rangers chairman David Murray.
"Dick Advocaat and Walter Smith, who both had Craig Moore in their teams at Ibrox, were there and when I asked them about him they said the same thing - sign him."
Meanwhile, Newcastle have a striker injury crisis on their hands ahead of their InterToto Cup semi-final with Deportivo La Coruna next week.
Michael Chopra suffered a concussion in Saturday's 2-0 win over Slovakian club ZTS Dubnica and is set to miss out against Deportivo.
With Shola Ameobi still missing, it leaves Newcastle with Alan Shearer as they only fit striker at the club.
"Alan is our only fit striker as we speak, but we'll deal with it," said Souness.
"We'll have to wait and see what the doctors tell us, but after being concussed, I don't think Michael can rush back.
"He didn't really know where he was, decided to continue, but realised quickly that he couldn't."