Nathaniel Clyne has no regrets over turning down Newcastle for a Southampton move
Nathaniel Clyne is feeling settled at Southampton and has 'no regrets' about spurning a move to Newcastle.
Last Updated: 24/11/12 2:36pm
The 21-year-old came through the Crystal Palace academy and quickly became one of the most talked about prospects in the Football League.
Manchester United, Ajax and Everton were all linked with moves for the right-back, who instead plumped for a move to newly-promoted Southampton this summer.
It is a move Clyne has enjoyed so far and has no regrets about turning down other interest, including an offer from Sunday's visitors Newcastle.
"I was close [to going there]," said Clyne. "They are a good a side but I chose Southampton because it was closer to where I live.
"It's where I preferred to come. I didn't get a chance to speak to Alan Pardew.
"Southampton just appealed to me more. They've got good facilities here, the way they play football has been good and I was promised first-choice football.
"I thought I was going to get more game time, which I have been getting, so I am pleased.
"I have no regrets about coming here. I have been playing a lot of games for the club and that's what I like.
"I didn't really want to be on the bench. I just wanted to be playing, getting game time and improving as a player."
It is advice he would give to fellow young players attracting interest from larger clubs, including former Crystal Palace team-mate Wilfried Zaha.
The 20-year-old has impressed so much for the Eagles this season that he was handed his England debut in the recent friendly with Sweden and has a host of top clubs queuing up to secure his signature.
"There was a buzz about him" said Clyne. "He had been training with the first team for a number of years before he got his debut.
"It was only a matter of time about when they put him in and when he came in there was no stopping him.
"I suggest that he should just go wherever he can get game time and where he can play and just improve."