Callum McManaman say he has moved on from Massadio Haidara tackle
Wigan's Callum McManaman says he has moved on from the controversy surrounding his late tackle on Massadio Haidara.
Last Updated: 04/05/13 12:42pm
The 22-year-old caught the Newcastle star on the knee with a high challenge during a Premier League encounter between the two sides at the DW Stadium on March 17.
Referee Mark Halsey missed the tackle, that forced Haidara from the field on a stretcher, but no retrospective action could be taken as one of the other officials had seen the incident and deemed it fair.
Haidara escaped serious injury but that didn't curb Newcastle's fury, who called for McManaman to be given a lengthy ban.
The incident has overshadowed a fine few months for the Liverpool-born youngster, who notched the crucial second goal against Millwall in the FA Cup semi-final last month before firing home a fine strike against Tottenham in the Premier League last week.
McManaman insists he has been aware of the furore surrounding the tackle and its aftermath but insists he has not let it bother him.
"There was a long wait after the game for the next match but what happened didn't get me down or affect how I prepared myself for Norwich," he said. "There was more media attention than I'd had before that point in my career but things happen in football and all you can do is look forward and work hard for the good of the team.
"People around you help but ultimately it's down to you as an individual to go one way or the other. Having just got into the team I was desperate to get back on the training pitch and make sure I was in the starting line-up for Norwich.
"When the gaffer put me in that team it was a big moment and from that point onwards I like to think that I've progressed and become a stronger part of the team."