Championship: Wigan aim for Premier League promotion at the first attempt
Wigan chief executive Jonathan Jackson has said they aim to get back into the Premier League at the first attempt.
Last Updated: 10/07/13 3:57pm
There has been an enormous amount of change at the DW Stadium since the end of last season.
A change of manager, the loss of half a dozen out-of-contract members of the first-team squad, plus Arouna Kone's exit, always meant the bedding-in process for Owen Coyle was not going to be easy.
The new boss certainly got to work last week, bolstering his resources with six signings before Grant Holt's arrival from Norwich on Monday.
More than anyone else, it is Holt's arrival that underlines the deep desire of Wigan to reclaim their top-flight status given the forward was being spoken of as an England candidate a couple of years ago.
Jackson confirmed the healthy £16million parachute payment Wigan will pocket this term provides the financial advantage to press forward with a promotion bid.
"This year gives us our best opportunity to get back into the Premier League," Jackson said.
"Financially we have an advantage over the other clubs because it is a significant amount of money.
"We want to get back first time for a number of reasons. But financially it makes sense."