FA Cup: Wigan boss Uwe Rosler expresses delight after holders progress
Wigan boss Uwe Rosler will continue to treat their FA Cup defence with respect after their 2-1 win over Crystal Palace.
Last Updated: 26/01/14 10:34am
Victory over Premier League side Palace at the DW Stadium meant Latics extended their unbeaten FA Cup streak to 10 matches as Rosler continues the success of Roberto Martinez's trophy-winning side from last season.
The boss currently at the helm could be forgiven for not sharing in Wigan's obsession with this competition given he was at Brentford when Ben Watson's header defeated Manchester City in the final last May, but Rosler insists the FA Cup holds a special mystique for him personally too.
"Last year with Brentford we had a very good run and we're doing it now with my new club. I'm just enjoying it," he said.
"The FA Cup is something special for me, it's the best cup competition in the world and it's fantastic to be on to the last 16 and, God knows, if we get a good draw at home, we're moving on hopefully."
It was, fittingly, Watson who sent them on their way against the Eagles when he broke the deadlock against his former employers just before the interval.
However, Tony Pulis' men fought back and substitute Aaron Wilbraham made an instant impact with his first goal since August 2012 bringing them level.
Yet it was James McClean, officially ending his own goal drought of 12 months despite scoring in last month's abandonment at Sheffield Wednesday, who would score the winner 12 minutes from time.
Rosler had said in the build-up to this contest that victory would not represent a shock and he rated their chances at '50-50'. Nevertheless, he was still able to bask in the glory of a Premier League scalp against Pulis' men.
"When everybody saw the fixture a lot of people would say 'Wigan has a chance to win the game'," he continued.
"That is exactly the way we saw it before the game, we saw it as 50-50 especially when we have a home game. Tony put a very strong team out there, I was not surprised about that.
"We coped very well, apart from the first 15 minutes, but after that, especially in the first half, I felt we were very comfortable. I'm just very happy and hopefully we can start a new momentum with that win today."
The first half was extended by eight stoppage-time minutes because Palace full-back Jonathan Parr had to be stretchered off following a collision with Callum McManaman.
Pulis claimed McManaman, who was adjudged to have fouled Parr, had caught the defender in mid-air and revealed the Norwegian had immediately gone to hospital.
"He's gone to hospital for a scan or an X-ray," Pulis revealed.
"We've looked at the incident and we hope there's a better angle, but it looks as though the lad caught him. The referee's not far away from that, as he wasn't far away from the penalty, so it'll be interesting to see what it shows on TV. He's a lot closer than what we were.
"We think it's the impact (that caused Parr's injury) but let's wait and see. We're not sure if it's his jaw or his neck at the moment."
The aforementioned penalty appeal came in the dying stages as Dwight Gayle crumpled to the turf once Emmerson Boyce's hand grabbed his shoulder.
"When you play in cup ties you need certain decisions to go your way to win games," the Palace boss said.
"We knew it was going to be tight and difficult today and one or two decisions didn't go our way, but that's what happens."
Rosler had sympathy with his opposite number over Gayle's claim, but ultimately thought the best side progressed.
He added: "We got away with it with the situation - I have seen that penalty given before.
"I'm not sure there was a penalty but we should have put the game to bed."