Sturrock explains absentees
Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock has revealed he has had discussions with a number of his players.
Last Updated: 04/03/09 6:50pm
Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock and Steve MacLean have had a 'frank discussion' over the player's future at the club.
The striker, who has scored just two goals in 21 games this season, has lost his place in the starting line up recently and was left out of the squad for Argyle's 1-0 win over Wolves on Saturday.
The 26-year-old record signing featured for the reserves in their match with Forest Green on Monday night, but Sturrock has claimed the two have held clear-the-air talks since.
"Steve and I had a chat about a whole lot of things on Sunday. Him and I had a frank discussion and we know where we are coming from now," Sturrock told thisisplymouth.co.uk.
"I'm very pleased that a lot of the players who aren't in the team at this minute have come and seen me over the last couple of days.
"It shows they care, and it has enabled me to air my views. And it was good they aired their views as well."
Another Argyle player who has dropped out of the first team squad recently is midfielder Simon Walton.
The 21-year-old started the 2-0 defeat at Charlton Athletic on 14th February but has not even been on the substitutes' bench since then.
Sturrock pointed to the arrival of Crystal Palace loan signing Carl Fletcher as the main reason for Walton's absence from the senior side.
"Fletch has come in and we have drawn against Sheffield United and we have beaten Wolves," said the Pilgrims' boss.
"He's very much the same style of player (as Walton). And I did feel also that one or two of the others have done a decent job in midfield and I have gone with them.
"Simon can also play at centre-back, and him and I have had a chat about it.
"He feels that, at this juncture, he wants to show me he has got other strings to his bow."