Mifsud set to join Robins
Striker Michael Mifsud is set to complete his switch from Coventry to Bristol City on Monday.
Last Updated: 27/07/08 5:26pm
Maltese striker Michael Mifsud is set to complete his switch from Coventry to Bristol City on Monday.
The 27-year-old, who was Coventry's leading scorer last term with 17 goals in all competitions, has already passed a medical and agreed terms.
The Robins have beaten off competition from the likes of Crystal Palace and Norwich for the player, who had one year left to run on his Coventry deal.
Bristol City chairman Steve Lansdown told the club's official website on Sunday: "He took his partner around Bristol this weekend and liked what he saw. We expect to seal that deal tomorrow.
"Hopefully we'll have another on board soon, but I can't comment on that one any further at the moment."
But the chairman has ruled out the proposed signing of Egyptian international forward Emad Meteb from Al Ahly.
He said: "The Egyptian (Meteb) deal is off. To explain the player passed his medical and agreed the deal, subject to getting a work permit.
"He couldn't sign officially until the work permit came through, so he was allowed back to Egypt to sort that out and wave goodbye to the Al Ahly fans.
"He was clearly informed he could not play in the game against Zamelek and he went against that promise. We had second thoughts."
The chairman also confirmed that City's interest in Crewe's Nicky Maynard was over after making a bid but the figures quoted were too high.
On possible departures from the club, Lansdown confirmed City had received a "phone call" from Watford regarding Bradley Orr, but no official bid had been made or anything further.
"Aside from Nick Carle (who has joined Crystal Palace), we don't want any of our players to go and I'm sure they don't want to leave either," he said.
The club have also showcased brief first-draft plans concerning how their proposed new stadium could look.
Lansdown added: "We have acquired the land next to David Lloyd to build a new stadium for 30,000. The capacity can be extended 42,000 if it is necessary for World Cup football or our own purpose.
"We have architects, HOK, in place who have worked on Wembley Stadium and MK Dons' new stadium, plus Capita Symonds as project management.
"The next step is for planning permission to be in by May 2009, then on to judicial review - which is a three-month period where the Government can get involved.
"The aim is to have the stadium built by January 2012, ready for the start of 2012/13."
He added: "The designs are not set in stone, but these are the first drafts. The architects have listened to what fans, via the Supporters Trust, have asked for and they want to build something that signifies Bristol's history."