Saints duo cleared by police
Bradley Wright-Phillips and David McGoldrick have been cleared over assault and affray allegations.
Last Updated: 13/03/09 5:21pm
Southampton duo Bradley Wright-Phillips and David McGoldrick have been cleared over assault and affray allegations.
The strikers were accused of allegedly assaulting a Saints supporter following a night out last month.
Police launched an investigation after a 21-year-old Southampton fan claimed he was attacked by Wright-Phillips and McGoldrick as he made his way home at 2am on Saturday, 7th February, and the pair have been dealt some good news.
"After a thorough police investigation the Crown Prosecution Service has decided not to press any charges against either Bradley Wright-Phillips or David McGoldrick, and no further action will be taken against them," Southampton said on their official club website
Boss Mark Wotte, who publically backed Wright-Phillips and McGoldrick last Saturday, is glad the matter has now been dealt with and wants the pair to focus for the forthcoming game against QPR.
"I am happy for the boys to no longer have this hanging over them," Wotte said.
"We offered the two players our full support throughout the case and we will now continue to keep focussed on our football and the challenges ahead, starting with the game against QPR tomorrow."