No new bid for Scharner
By Kent Hedlundh
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Brann deny they have rejected a second bid from Birmingham for Paul Scharner.
Brann have dismissed reports they have rejected a second bid from Birmingham for defender Paul Scharner.
Reports on Tuesday suggested Blues had lodged a second bid in the region of £2.2 million.
The Norwegians rejected Blues' first offer two weeks ago but sports director Per-Ove Ludvigsen insists negotiations have not reopened since.
Ludvigsen did admit, however, that the Bergen-based club will field any offers that meet their valuation of the 25-year-old.
"Paul came here because Brann is a good step in his career and we are ready to discuss a transfer in case the conditions are acceptable," Ludvigsen told Brann's official website.
"Paul Scharner will remain a Brann player in 2006 unless a new development occurs."
The Austrian international appears happy to tow the club line and will bide his time while Blues manager Steve Bruce considers his next move.
"I came to Brann and Norway as a step in my career towards bigger clubs in Europe," said Scharner
"I will consider offers in case the right club come into the picture with conditions which are acceptable to both Brann and me."
Scharner had earlier expressed his belief that a transfer was "very, very close" but it would appear there is still work to be done on the deal ahead of the reopening of the transfer window in January.