Villa deny making Lewis bid
Aston Villa have dismissed Peterborough's claims a bid for goalkeeper Joe Lewis was turned down.
Last Updated: 13/01/11 9:22am
Aston Villa have dismissed Peterborough United's claims that the club have seen a bid for goalkeeper Joe Lewis turned down.
Peterborough's director of football Barry Fry told Sky Sports News on Wednesday that he had rejected an 'insulting' offer from Villa for Lewis.
The former England Under 21 international handed in a transfer request earlier in the week and Fry revealed two other Premier League clubs had made offers.
However, Villa have responded to Fry's comments and insist that no attempts have been made to bring Lewis to the club.
Chief executive Paul Faulkner told the club's official website: "The simple truth is that we haven't made a bid for the Peterborough goalkeeper.
"I've seen some of the reports today linking us with a bid for this player, but I can confirm that no bid has been made by Aston Villa."
Lewis joined Posh from Norwich City in a £400,000 deal three years ago and Fry had claimed that Villa's offer was lower than the amount the League One club had paid for the keeper.