Stankovic reveals Inter switch
By Peter ORourke
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
The Serbia & Montenegro international's future has been the subject of intense speculation in the last few months with Inter and Juventus strongly linked with his signature.
Stankovic's current contract at Lazio expires in the summer and it seems almost certain that the skilful midfielder will make the move to the Giuseppe Meazza in January when the transfer window reopens.
"I am in a position to choose now and I can say I choose Inter," Stankovic told Sky Italia.
"I want to win and sooner or later Inter must break through this taboo and return to lifting trophies.
"The fans did not want me to go and the press has said for months that I didn't want to sign a new contract. It was all talk. Only the club and I know what really happened."
Ironically Stankovic could make his last appearance for Lazio against Inter this weekend after successfully having his four-match ban reduced on appeal.
Stankovic was delighted to have his suspension reduced and he insists he will give everything to Lazio's cause even though he is coming up against his future employers.
"I am glad that my ban was cut down to two games instead of three as that means I can play against Inter on Sunday. It was a sign from the Heavens," added Stankovic.
"I don't think the situation can be resolved now but I am still a Lazio player and will sweat blood for this shirt."
Inter president Massimo Moratti was remaining cautious about the deal and insisted that the move was far from sealed.
"I am glad to hear that Stankovic has good taste,Ç¥ said Moratti.
"As I said earlier this month, negotiations are still at a very early stage. I am happy that he is ready to join us, but the club must work out if it is also prepared for this step.Ç¥
Meanwhile, Inter are also reported to be interested in signing Leeds striker Mark Viduka during the January transfer window.
Viduka has continually been linked with a move away from Leeds for some time due to their financial difficulties.
Leeds insist that no players will be allowed to leave Elland Road in January as they battle against relegation, but they would be unable to resist a big money offer from Inter if they firm up their interest in the Australian.