FA Commission: Greg Dyke says Premier League and Football League will back 'B' team plans
Greg Dyke does not believe the Premier League or Football League will block his plans for a new League Three.
By Graeme Bailey - Tweet me: @graemebailey
Last Updated: 09/05/14 1:18pm
Dyke's England Commission announced their first set of proposals at Wembley on Thursday, aimed at bolstering the amount of England-qualified players at the top-level of the game.
Amongst the proposals were plans to overhaul the work permit system, increase the number of home-grown players in squads and encourage special loan relationships between clubs.
However, the most hotly-debated point was Dyke's hope for a new League Three to be launched by 2016, which would be made up of ten teams from the current Conference and ten 'B' teams from Premier League clubs.
Both the Football League and Football Conference released statements - with neither backing the idea.
The Football League said there was no "acceptable solution" in the
Commission's report, whilst the Conference called on football to remember the "heritage" of the game.
The Premier League - who refused an invitation to sit on on the Commission, which was announced last year - have yet to make an official comment.
However, Dyke believes that his plans will not be blocked by any of the leagues.
"I don't think that will happen," said Dyke. "Do I think every bit of this will happen no, do I think a lot of it will - yes. You have to distinguish sometimes between the leagues and the clubs."
Dyke revealed that the Premier League were not happy about not being 'consulted' on the plans.
"Let's remember - we invited the Premier League to sit on this and the Premier
League chose not to. When I met them last week they said 'why didn't you consult us?' and we said we did consult your members and secondly we wanted you on this, to be part of it.
"You must look at the distinction between the league and the clubs, a lot of
the clubs want this."
Commission member Danny Mills insists that the plans are being backed by a 'majority' of clubs.
"The majority of Premier League clubs want B teams. That is their favoured option," Mills told Sky Sports News.
"Will all of them take up that opportunity? Not necessarily, but they all support it on its merits for what it brings to their development system.
"You might have six, 10, 12 or 14 (teams) that choose - with the criteria that will be put in place - to have a B team."
As part of the plans, Dyke announced that Premier League clubs should fund a 'significant' financial settlement to clubs in the lower divisions to ensure they do not lose out financially from the proposed reorganisation.
But the plans have met with resistance with Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony reacted on Twitter saying: "My thoughts on this B team scenario - It's all about ME,ME & ME from the FA/Prem & to hell with the rest of you. Cant be allowed to happen!
"In this instance, its finally time for the 72 FL chairmen & most importantly our Chairman GC (Greg Clarke) to be strong to ensure this doesn't happen."
Accrington Stanley stated sarcastically: "In 2016/17 we can achieve our dream... We'll finally be able to play Stoke City Reserves in the Football League..."
The Football League said there was no "acceptable solution" in the Commission's report while England's record goalscorer Gary Lineker described the B-team idea as "nonsense" and the Football Supporters' Federation expressed outrage it was not consulted.
A Football Conference statement said: "The English pyramid system is unique, having evolved over 100 years.
"It has supported the growth of football into a league system that has become the envy of the world. It is important in these proposals to remember the heritage of the English game."