Swansea boss Michael Laudrup says Jonathan de Guzman will take next penalty
Swansea boss Michael Laudrup says Jonathan de Guzman will remain on penalty duty for the foreseeable future.
Last Updated: 02/03/13 2:33pm
With the Swans having waited until the end of February to be awarded their first spot-kick of the season, no designated taker had been assigned.
De Guzman stepped up during a 5-0 mauling of Bradford City in the Capital One Cup final, and confidently stroked home.
He had to wrestle the ball off Nathan Dyer to convert from 12 yards, with the winger desperate to bag himself a Wembley hat-trick.
Laudrup is happy for De Guzman to remain in charge for the remainder of the campaign, with it hoped that the club will be given further opportunities from the spot before the season is out.
He said: "Maybe we will go on a good run now and get another one on Saturday.
"I have a designated penalty taker. If Jonathan is on the pitch, he will take the penalty."
Swansea's next outing sees them welcome Newcastle United to the Liberty Stadium and Laudrup is looking for his side to put their cup heroics behind them and turn their attention back to the pursuit of precious points.
He said: "If you look at some of the sides we have to play, they all have something to play for.
"Newcastle are not 100 per cent safe, neither are Norwich. West Brom are still playing for a place in Europe while Arsenal and Tottenham are going for the Champions League.
"We cannot stop being competitive because if we do we will lose all the games.
"It is part of being more mature; I am not saying we have to win six or seven of these games but we must keep being competitive.
"Look at last year when the team reached 39 points after some very good weeks, then suddenly lost five of the last nine, so we cannot stop competing, we have to go on."