Lee: Door open for Samways
By Simon Fudge
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
The Saddlers boss has been in talks with the former Tottenham Hotspur, Everton, Las Palmas and Sevilla player over a contractual dispute.
Samways's two-year deal has a clause that would allow the club to terminate the deal on February 10 - should the midfielder find his commuting between England and his family home in Spain to be too much of a strain.
The deal entitles Samways to spend half the week with his family in Spain but problems occurred when he refused to return to England in time for the club's 6-1 home thrashing by Coventry City on January 17.
Lee then threatened to tear up his deal but retain the 36-year-old's registration in order to prevent him from joining another club.
Despite the previous threat, the Walsall manager has hinted that Samways could return to his good books, should they be able to resolve the player's contractual situation.
"Whether he can ever play for us again is a difficult question but I am not a person who holds grudges," said Lee.
"But there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things and in this situation we had an agreement which was signed, sealed and delivered.
"Vinny Samways was guilty of gross misconduct because he elected not to return to training when he was told to."
Meanwhile, Lee has decided to not to hand youngsters Craig Stanley and Karl Hawley new contracts when their current deals expire in the summer.
The pair returned from recent loan spells at Scottish First Division club Raith Rovers but were told last week that they can leave on a free transfer, should they find new clubs.
Reserve regular Mark Wright has also been given until the season's end to prove he is worthy of a new contract while Nick Smith and Andy Bishop are due to have contract talks with the club in the near future.